In the terms of Computers a proxy server is a server that acts as an intermediary or gateway between a local network (e.g., all the computers at one company or in one building) and a larger-scale network such as the Internet. The proxy provides the resource either by connecting to the specified server or by serving it from a cache.
These provide us security as well as good performance. Here are very easy to follow steps that will help you to change your proxy settings in the versions of Internet Explorer Firefox and Opera.
Good for knowledge : [7 Killer Tips to Speed Up Internet Explorer]
Change proxy settings in Internet Explorer
- Go to the IE icon and launch it.
- Click on the Connections tab.
- Click the LAN Settings button(If you are using a LAN) OR Select the necessary connection(If you are using a Dial-up or Virtual Private Network connection).
- ”Automatically detect proxy settings” and “use a proxy automatic configuration script” should be Unchecked.
- In the ‘Proxy Server’ area, select the Use a proxy server for this connection or Use a proxy server for your LAN check box.
- Enter the address of the proxy server in the Address box and type the port number in the Port box.
- If necessary, check the ‘Bypass proxy server for local addresses‘ option.
- Finally, Click OK.
How to change proxy server settings in Firefox
- Go to the Firefox icon and launch it.
- Now, Select Tools followed by Options on the left top of the screen.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click on the network tab to open the networks.
- In Connections area click on the setting button.
- Select Manual Proxy Configuration.
- Enter the proxy address and port number in the required field.
- Finally, Click OK.
How to Change proxy server settings in Opera
- Go to the Opera icon and launch it
- Now, Select Tools and then Preferences.
- Open the Advanced tab and select the Network sub-category.
- Click the Proxy servers button.
- In the Address box, enter the address of the proxy server. In the Port box, type the port number.
- Click OK.