The Kindle Fire is a tablet computer version of Amazon.com’s Kindle e-book reader. The Kindle Fire is what the tech world likes to coin a game changer. There is good news for Kindle Fire users that they can install Ice Cream Sandwich ROM on their devices.Thanks to XDA Developers who made this happen. The custom ROM is based on AOSP code for Ice Cream Sandwich but still in the pre alpha stage.
Kindle Fire Quick Specifications:
The Kindle Fire has a color 7 inch multi-touch display with IPS technology and runs a forked version of Google‘s Android operating system. The device which includes access to the Amazon Appstore, streaming movies and TV shows, and Kindle’s e-books. The Kindle Fire’s external dimensions are 7.5×4.7×0.45 inch (190×120×11 mm), with the visible area of the screen a little smaller than a standard 4×6″ photograph. The Kindle Fire is running a customized Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS.
The Kindle Fire is equipped with a 1 GHz Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 dual-core processor. Connectivity is through 802.11n Wi-Fi and USB 2.0 (Micro-B connector). The device includes 8 GB of internal storage said to be enough for 80 applications, plus either 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books. According to Amazon’s list of technical details, the Kindle Fire’s 4400 mAh battery sustains up to 8 hours of consecutive reading and up to 7.5 hours of video playback with wireless off.
Disclaimer: We at www.fever18.com should not be responsible in any manner if anything happens to your device as which is a very unlikely case if you follow each and every instruction carefully given in this article.
If you install Custom ROM into your Kindle Fire, it is likely that you will experience issues. Here are some issues that you may encounter.
- The touchscreen screen might be unresponsive when walking up from sleep mode.
- There are issues in the audio.
- There are issues in rotating from portrait to landscape view.
- The Wi-Fi radio may sometimes disconnect.
- There are some apps that will crash and will force close
- The device needs to be rooted. You can follow the guide from here.
- You need to install the Team Win Recovery Project 2.0 or TWRP 2. You can follow the guide from here.
- Google Apps
- ICS ROM
Prime Requisites :
- Take Backup of your Android device contacts, your apps and your accounts associated with it.
- Make sure Your Android device is atleast 50% charged so that it can’t get switched off.
- You need to have a PC running Windows Vista or Windows 7.
How To Install Ice Cream Sandwich ROM On Kindle Fire:
Step 1: Download ICS custom ROM from here and save it to your computer.
Step 2: Then connect the device using data cable and copy the downloaded file into the root directory of SD card.
Step 3: Disconnect the device from computer and turn off the device.
Step 4: Boot the device again and once you will see yellow triangle icon, press the power button once more time to boot into recovery mode.
Step 5: In recovery mode, create a backup of the device by tapping on the backup button. Once the process is done, go back to main menu.
Step 6: Wipe the cache and the Dalvik cache. Just tap on “Wipe” then choose “cache” and once that’s done, go back and tap “Dalvik Cache”.
Step 7: To install the custom ROM, tap on the install button. This will bring you into a two column file browser. Tap the file that you have copied into the device. Then tap the big flash button at the bottom left to start the installation.
Step 8: Once the installation is complete, choose the reboot button to reboot the system.
Congracts! You have successfully Installed Ice Cream Sandwich ROM On Kindle Fire.
You can also check it:
- Fix Soft Brick For HTC View Evo 4G After OTA Firmware Update [How To]
- Download And Install Android 4.0.3 ICS ROM on HTC Evo 4G
- How To Install CyanogenMod 9 Android 4.0 ICS On The Motorola Droid 3
- 10 Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE SGH i957 [How to Tutorial]